Archive for November, 2010
posted on November 4th, 2010 by Steve Schug
A unique advantage of maintaining a Zoysia lawn is that the grass plugs grow with a deep and thick root structure. This root system allows Zoysia to grow in thick and plush with a carpet-like grass that feels great on bare feet.
Benefits of a Deep Root System:
- Allows the roots to more effectively extract water from deeper soil, reducing your needs to water your Zoysia lawn.
- Amazoy plugs make it easy to plant the grass on steep areas and slopes.
- Since Zoysia grows so thick with deep roots, it crowds out weeds and crab grasses so they are unable to germinate.
- Thick roots work to replace unwanted existing grasses in the lawn.
- Zoysia is able to grow in all types of dense clay soils because the strong roots are strong enough to penetrate the ground and create air passages allowing root development.
- Once the root system is fully established (reaching about 2 feet), the thickness of the turf will work to reduce slope erosion.