Archive for May, 2016
posted on May 16th, 2016 by SecureAdminZ
One of the biggest decisions in starting or switching your lawn to a zoysia lawn is deciding on which method to use. There are several different ways to start your new lawn. The most common ways are plugs, seeds or sod.
Part 1 we went over some of the advantages and disadvantages of using plugs to start a zoysia lawn. Part Two, this week, we will go over seed and sod.
Listed below are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using zoysia seed and sod.
- Quicker to fill in
- Less time needed to plant
- Must have a tilled, level seed bed
- More expensive initially than plugs less than sod
- Needs Lots of Water
- Small Percentage of seed germinates
- Overall growth can be uneven
- Less winter hardy
- Has a shortest planting period each year
- Zoysia Sod
- Longer planting season
- Less watering same as plugs
- Most Expensive
- Must have a tilled, level bed
- Must be planted right away
- Heavy repetitive lifting
- Most labor intensive