posted on October 14th, 2010 by John
Grasscycling is a simple and “green” way to nourish your Zoysia lawn. This process is the natural recycling of grass by leaving clippings on the lawn when mowing. Grass clippings quickly decompose, returning valuable nutrients to the soil to nourish your Zoysia lawn.
Advantages of Grasscycling
– No bagging or raking of the lawn required.
– Plastic bags full of lawn clippings don’t end up in the landfill.
– Clippings help your Zoysia lawn reach its fertilizing needs, reducing both time and money spent fertilizing.
– Grasscycling reduces the need for fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides, reducing pollution to the environment and chemicals in your yard.
– Does not cause thatch, making your lawn more durable.
How to Grasscycle Effectively
– Cut up to 1/3 of the leaf surface while mowing, but no more.
– Mow when the lawn is dry.
– Mow using a sharp mower blade. Dull blades bruise and tear at grass, leading to a ragged tip on the top of the blade.
– Aerate your lawn. This will open up the soil and increase the movement of water, fertilizer, and air by speeding up decomposition of the grass clippings and enhancing deep root growth.
– Follow the lawn care schedule for your type of Zoysia grass.
Grasscycling is environmentally responsible, and an opportunity for homeowners to reduce their waste while saving both time and energy. For more information about what you can do to protect the environment while caring for your Zoysia lawn, learn about organic lawn care.