Frequently Asked Questions…
While most customers are successful, there are always some questions. Here are some of the most frequent questions:
- When can I plant in my area?
Ideal planting times vary greatly from region to region and year to year. We hope to start shipping to most southern parts of the county in early March. We watch the weather for you and only send grass when we believe it is safe to plant in your state.
- When is the latest you can ship to me?
We stop shipping grass to more northern areas in early August and end all grass shipping by early October.
- How much does a Zoysia lawn cost?
That depends on how big your yard is and how quickly you want it to fill in. You can spend less than .10 per square foot.
- How long can I wait to plant my just arrived Zoysia plugs?
Plant as soon as possible but if you are unable to do so make sure to take the grass out of the box, keep it in a shaded area, and keep it moist.
- Can you plant Zoysia in shady areas?
Amazoy Meyer Zoysia is not a shade grass. It requires 2-3 hours of direct sunlight to be successful.
- How much water does my zoysia need in the beginning?
Amazoy Meyer Zoysia should only be watered every day for the first three weeks (just a light mist). After that initial three weeks, the amount of water you give the grass is dependent upon your area.
- Can I over water my zoysia grass?
Yes, zoysia is a drought-resistant grass which thrives in hot and dry conditions.
- How long should I wait before walking/playing on my new plugs?
Use and play should be kept to a minimum during the first 45 days after planting.
- How long should I keep my pets off of my zoysia grass after planting?
It is best to minimize the amount of time your pets spend on the plugs for at least the first month after planting.
- When should I mow my zoysia grass?
Zoysia should NOT be mowed for at least one month. After you clearly see new growth developing, cut the grass to about 1 1/2″.
- What is the idea height to keep my Zoysia grass at?
We suggest a healthy height of 1 1/2″ to 3″
- What is the optimal pH for a Zoysia lawn?
The pH is best between 6.0 and 7.0 pH. You can adjust the pH of the soil by adding lime if your pH is below 6.0 and sulfur if the pH is above 7.0.
- Should I fertilize my Amazoy Meyer Zoysia grass?
Yes, additional nutrients may help speed up growth and improve color.
- What fertilizer would you recommend for zoysia grass?
We recommend liquid fertilizers like our Stim u root starter fertilizer for use on newly planted plugs and Nutri-20 for established zoysia lawns.
- Can I use granular fertilizer?
It is not recommended as they can sit on top of the grass and cause burn damage.
- Can I use weed killers on my zoysia grass?
Yes, but only use Zoysia safe and water soluble weed killers. Do not use Roundup or like products as it will kill anything green including Zoysia.
- Do you offer a guarantee on your grass?
The best guarantee is to follow our planting instructions but yes, our plugs are guaranteed to grow. See our full guarantee for details at www.zoysiafarms.com.
If you have other questions or we can provide additional assistance please contact us any time. We look forward to discussing how Amazoy Meyer Zoysia may be the best choice for you.